Thursday, September 8, 2011

Enjoying the role of housewife

This weekend I felt like such a housewife-- and I loved it! I spent time making fried corn to stick in the freezer, and canning peaches with my mom-in-law for the hubby and I to enjoy in the winter.

And yes, maybe "housewife" is stereotypical or derogatory to some-- but I see nothing wrong with the term. I thoroughly enjoyed the feeling of accomplishing things for my husband and I to savor for months to come. It's an empowering feeling to know that I am providing some comfort for my husband-- and I am nothing but proud of the hard work!

So yummy!


Are there any activities you enjoy doing that are possibly categorized as "housewife"? (For instance, I really enjoy folding laundry. Don't ask me why!) Do you take offense at the term? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

Naturally Carol said...

I don't take offense to the term because I like being a wife and doing stuff in my house..creative stuff and decorating and even the work most of the time. However, it's not all I am and so when it's not appropriate I use other terms to describe myself. As long as you don't feel limited to this one description then how could it be offensive..unless it doesn't fit at all.

Unknown said...

A housewife is role of honour.

I have nominated you and your blog for The Versatile Blogger Award. Stop over at my blog to check it out. xx
http://mj-brightsideup.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-first-nomination-versatile-blogger.html

Kelley said...

No offense whatsoever. I love being home and making my home better. I can't wait to have a home of my own :)

Savannah said...

I love being a house wife! I am in nursing school, so technically I am not a full on housewife, but I love the time I spend cleaning/decorating/preparing the house for my husband and I to enjoy. I think it is a glory of women and not a shame or offense that we have the opportunity everyday to create a beautiful and comfortable space for our families to enjoy!

Kyle said...

I'm not offended by the term at all. I think everyone should have a little housewife in them to the very least. That means you like to care for others by maybe cleaning or cooking. I will never complain about that!

I wish I was better at crafting, but I feel like that would be extremely therapeutic!

I also think that being a "house husband" (as a girl) is more than okay as well. I love building projects, doing yardwork, house building/maintenance, etc. ;)

Unknown said...

I love hanging out washing, but I'm a little OCD about it (see here LOL http://blog.mummybrain.com/2011/09/ocd-much.html) but I love being a homemaker, as we call it here.