Sunday, August 12, 2012

DIY fall wreath



I love fall. Love, love, love. 


Crisp leaves, warm hues, tall boots, and pumpkin-flavored everything. New school supplies, cold mornings, wool jackets, and hayrides. Hot cider, cozy blankets, and beautiful scenery. It's all wonderful.

So of course I'm planning ahead, gearing up for my favorite season-- despite the 90 degree afternoons spent sprawled out in front of the fan eating popsicles. I know autumn is just around the corner-- I can feel it.

The past few evenings a cool breeze has settled in the valley, hinting at the first taste of weather to come. The way it catches in my hair and chills my skin excites me. Watching the grass fields billow ever so slightly warms me to the bone.

Autumn-- I am ready for you.

And to prep my home for the season to come, I have started in on some appropriate decor. Behold the (possibly overdone and somewhat cliche) fall wreath.


Supplies:
10 inch Styrofoam wreath
4 Ply Jute
Fall decor (leaves, flowers, twigs, etc... I found mine at Joann's for 30 % off)
Glue gun and twine (not pictured)


Begin by hot gluing the end of the jute to the wreath form, and then wrapping the entire shape with the jute. Every 5-10 wraps, add another drop of glue to hold everything in place. 


After the entire wreath is wrapped, decide on the placement of your decor, then secure each piece with hot glue. I decided to reinforce my branches with small pieces of twine, but you might be able to get away with just the glue. Make sure you layer the decor on top of each other so the glue is not visible (and trim any excess twine). I was able to find a giant flower to cover up all of the glue in the middle of the leaves and branches. 



And that's it! A beautiful fall wreath in preparation for the lovely months to come. If you want to hang your wreath on the door, simply add a piece of ribbon to the top.


1 comment:

Jessica said...

I love this! Very cute!